Cornish Fairing Biscuits (with a twist)!

Today's weather is dull and wet, lots of other jobs to do but not in the mood, and wanted to bake something quickly..

So I thought I would bake some biscuits Cornish Fairings actually, got my mum's old recipe out only to find I don't have ginger (quite important that one) and golden syrup!
Well I had a good old rummage in the spice cupboard and I found some galangal which has a slight smell of ginger!!! and the recipe also has mixed spice  which I have so I thought I'd give it a go.
Oh also substituted honey for golden syrup.
Well, they are delicious even if I say so myself, they look the same as fairings, but they are slightly more chewy without being tough and because of the galangal the biscuits have a slight peppery taste but just a hint.
I am having to bake another batch as these have been eaten already!!
Here's the recipe

100 g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon of galangal ( or ginger)
Pinch of salt
40 g of Castor sugar
50 g of unsalted butter
3 tablespoons of Honey


Firstly pre heat the oven 200*C/400*F/Gas mark 6
Line two baking trays with grease proof paper and butter lightly
Sift flour into mixing bowl add salt, galangal, spices, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda
give a mix and add sugar and diced butter
Rub with fingertips until it resembles bread crumbs
Then add honey and pull together with wooden spoon
Add a little bit of cold water if dough is still crumbly
You should now have a nice firm dough
On a flat surface with your hands roll your dough to form a large sausage about 15inchs long, 2 inches thick 
Slice into 20 sections  and shape each piece of dough to 50p size balls
Place on grease proof paper leaving plenty of space between each ball as they should double in size
Bake in oven for 7 minutes until golden brown 
Remove from oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes
Then gently lift off trays onto wire racks to allow to cool completely
Once thoroughly cooled place in airtight container, will keep for a few days
Unless like me they have all been eaten in seconds and am know off to make another batch!!
Enjoy.

Comments

Popular Posts